Do you want to make a difference? Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let’s talk. We’ve built a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration and openness, and established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. Life at Illumina is about working with teammates who are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives. We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Just check out our investor events and presentations to learn about our financial accomplishments. Our growth isn’t just in financials, we’ve been busy hiring the best and the brightest. Perhaps that’s why MIT has ranked Illumina near the top of its World’s Smartest Companies each of the last three years. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you. Join the journey of a lifetime. Join Illumina.
Technology Liaison Manager – Illumina Laboratory Services (ILS)
Permanent / Full Time; Cambridge
Highly competitive rates of pay which include annual bonus scheme, equity, private healthcare, 10% pension, gym membership and more!
Are you an experienced DNA sequencing scientist with a strong technical understanding of NGS technology?
Are you looking for an opportunity to apply this knowledge to come of the most exciting new applications of NGS technology – clinical genomics and population-scale sequencing?
Illumina Laboratory Services (ILS) is an exciting and expanding initiative that is applying Illumina’s core sequencing technology to large scale, high through-put (HTP) sequencing projects. Working with external clients, partners and consortia, ILS is leading the way in creating HTP-NGS workflows and applying them to ground breaking projects like the Genomics England 100K Genome Project. This is your opportunity to be involved at a very early stage of development and help realise Illumina’s goal of bringing the power of the genome to human health.
ILS is looking for a scientist with a strong background in NGS technology. We need someone who can act as a bridge between Illumina’s technical R&D/operations groups and the delivery team at ILS. Your in-depth knowledge of NGS will allow you to communicate the needs of ILS to the development teams as well as facilitate the incorporation of new technical advancements into the ILS workflows.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Management of cross-functional liaison on all aspects of sequencing technology, including coordination and interaction between multiple teams at Illumina
- Help ensure consistent and efficient operation of sequencing in the ILS laboratory
- Ensure reagents and systems meet performance and specifications required by ILS and ILS customers
- Ensure adequate testing, supply, storage and back-up of reagents and systems for continuous operation at capacities required to meet variable demand
- Proactively liaise with research and development, technical development, manufacturing, service engineers, technical support, informatics, regulatory and other departments as required to assist monitoring, troubleshooting, assessment and execution of sequencing performance.
- Coordinate with internal groups engaged in similar production sequencing activities, including research and development and Illumina Clinical Services Laboratory (ICSL)
- Test and assess new developments prior to introduction in the ILS laboratory,
- Knowledge of developing requirements, system design, development, manufacturing, sustaining, on-going risk management
- Participate in planning of strategy, integration, execution, and continued improvement of sequencing processes and infrastructure for high throughput and fast turnaround sequencing production in ILS.
- Collect information for technical reports, summaries, protocols and quantitative analyses relating to sequencing performance and component testing and present this data when required at progress review meetings both internally and with customers.
Preferred Educational Background:
- PhD degree or equivalent in related field
- Proven in-depth knowledge of next-generation sequencing technology
- Excellent knowledge of relevant areas of chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology and associated experimental processes
- Knowledge of high throughput processes and process management
- Innovative and able to think tactically and strategically at many levels
- Able to multitask effectively and interact with different teams
- Excellent analytical skills, detail oriented, familiar with statistical analyses, quality management, troubleshooting processes
- Excellent verbal and written communication, analytical and interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate across many levels and disciplines of the organization as well with external partners and stakeholders
- Proficient in use of data storage and search software, interrogation of databases, and general office software
This is a high impact, high visibility role within the business and would suit someone looking to use their NGS technical knowledge in an applied space. The role would involve working cross functionally, moving between Illumina’s Cambridge facilities, as well as meetings with external partners, so transport and a willingness to travel (~15%) is needed.
Interested parties would initially need to apply by sending your CV and cover letter to Scott Oldham (TA Partner for Illumina EMEA) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All About Us
Do you want to make a difference? Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let’s talk. We’ve built a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration and openness, and established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. We are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives.
We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Our revenue grew from $10 million in 2002 to approximately $2.4 billion in 2016. Our growth isn’t just revenue, we’ve been hiring the best and the brightest. Perhaps that’s why MIT has ranked Illumina near the top of its “World’s Smartest Companies” list each of the last three years. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you – imagine the possibilities.
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunities employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.