Location: Coralville, Iowa, United States of America
Job Category: STEM (Includes IT)
Job ID: R1119477
The Staff Scientist conducts bench scientific experimentation that advances the basic science of nucleic acids and nucleic acid biochemistry and leads with development and characterization of new IDT genomics products. This position is responsible for planning, executing and communicating genomics projects, customer support tasks as R&D lead and participating external scientific collaborations.
This specific Staff Scientist will be involved in developing, validating, and transferring appropriate QC tests for in-process production tests to IDTs Bulk Biological Reagents group and for final QC testing by IDT's Custom Quality Control department.
The ideal candidate will possess industry experience developing analytical tests to characterize existing and novel enzymes designed for use in functional genomics products, and possess a solid knowledge base of protein biochemistry.
- Supervises and directs staff which would include employee hiring, training, evaluations and discipline.
- Applies extensive scientific knowledge with broad laboratory skills to execute complex bench experiments using variety of molecular biology, cell biology, biochemical and general laboratory techniques as directed.
- Develops experimental plan, independently, to move projects forward.
- Analyzes raw data, organizes results and plans the next steps and implements.
- Develops creative solutions for complex problems, drawing on extensive knowledge of science and bench laboratory experience.
- Leads complex projects that may require a multi-member team.
- Utilizes mathematical, graphical, imaging, nucleic acid analysis and other software aids as needed.
- Operates and maintains laboratory equipment.
- Maintains accurate and detailed records of experimental work.
- Presents experimental results, data analysis, or prior art evaluations at group meetings as directed.
- Directs preparation of technical reports for internal and external use; assists SciCom in preparing formal protocols for public display or distribution.
- Assists in filing invention disclosures, writing patent applications and manuscripts for publication.
- Provides, on a routine basis, scientific support for other IDT departments; assists customer service/technical support with direct customer interaction and helps manage or lead external collaborative research projects as directed.
- Assists with general scientific and specific new product training for other IDT groups.
- Introduces new techniques into the research group which have not previously been used at IDT. Participates new technology assessment.
- Represents IDT at scientific conference and trade shows, prepare and present scientific posters and/or podium presentations.
- Assists IDT sales reps with field visits to key customers as needed.
- Uses radioactive materials and autoradiography, on occasion, during the course of experimental work.
- Demonstrates and upholds behavior consistent with the Integrated DNA Technologies Core Values and delivers the Integrated DNA Technologies experience to customers and other business associates.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree (in Biology, Genetics, Chemistry or a related life sciences field) with ten or more years relevant lab experience required
- Master's degree (in Biology, Genetics, Chemistry or a related life sciences field) with eight or more years relevant lab experience preferred
- PhD degree (in Biology, Genetics, Chemistry or a related life sciences field) with six or more years relevant lab experience preferred
- Proficiency in a variety of PC software programs with strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office required.
- Applies statistics for DOE during research and product development activities required.
- Previous experience with public speaking preferred.
- Strong publication record in peer-reviewed journals preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of IDT products and product lines preferred.
Other Job Qualifications:
- Ability to train others in basic laboratory techniques and equipment operation.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask and maintain several projects at one time.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate with peers and all levels of management.
What We Offer:
- Generous Paid Time Off Accruals
- 16 Hours PAID Volunteer Time Off
- 10 Paid Holidays
- Up to eight (8) weeks of 100% paid parental leave to eligible U.S. associates
- 401(k) with Company Match
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance Options
- An Eclectic Culture
Are you ready to join an innovative, fast-paced, new team? Apply Now!
Integrated DNA Technologies (IDT) conducts drug screens and background checks on applicants who accept employment offers.
Danaher Corporation and all Danaher Companies are equal opportunity employers that evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other characteristics protected by law. The "EEO is the Law" poster is available here .