Sr Staff / Staff Electrical Engineer
1305 O’Brien Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Pacific Biosciences of California, Inc. (NASDAQ: PACB) is helping scientists forge a better understanding of biology by providing a unique long-read sequencing technology that generates more complete and accurate data, giving them more insights. Our sequencing systems allow scientists to characterize genomes, transcriptomes, and epigenomes from any organism. Scientists use our technology in areas such as human biomedical research, plant and animal sciences, and microbiology and infectious disease studies. Become part of the new paradigm in long-read sequencing and help shape the future of genomic study by joining the Pacific Biosciences team.
Pacific Biosciences is looking for an experienced staff electrical engineer to architect and implement electronic subsystems for our next generation SMRT sequencing instruments. This person will work with Systems Engineers to understand and refine requirements, document and champion hardware architecture options, drive interdisciplinary design reviews and implement solutions from an optimal blend of off-the-shelf and custom components. This person should be comfortable implementing complex mixed analog & digital circuit boards, as well as FPGA designs.
This successful candidate must have excellent oral and written communication skills and excel in effective collaboration with mechanical, optical, software, manufacturing, and systems subject matter experts within the department as well as program management. The candidate must feel comfortable inspiring and leading through innovation and discovery.
Ideally the candidate has experience with semiconductor capital equipment, laboratory instruments or similar products.
- Present and champion compelling solutions to both business and technical audiences.
- Explore technology trends and their applicability to Pacific Biosciences next generation products.
- Collaborate with Product Management, Systems Engineering, Optical, Mechanical and System Integration teams to refine hardware requirements.
- Work with stakeholders across the company to understand product needs and implement solutions that meet business goals for quality, schedule, and cost.
- Design and implementation of complex mixed analog and digital custom circuit board, including programmable logic.
- Transition deliverables to mass production in collaboration with manufacturing NPI.
- Collaborate with manufacturing on product sustaining activities.
- Bachelors and/or Masters in Electrical Engineering or related discipline with 10+ years of work experience.
- Possess an analytical mindset and extensive experience with electronic and FPGA design.
- Experience architecting and implementing complex high performance embedded systems.
- Demonstrated competency in electronics and computer architecture and transitioning products to manufacturing.
- Familiarity with High Performance Compute (HPC) architectures is desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, a strong team player, able to take initiative, detail-oriented, and able to work effectively as part of a strong hardware team. Thrives in a fast-paced environment, interacting with scientists and engineers from a variety of disciplines.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.
How to Apply
About Our Organization
PacBio is a leading provider of high quality, long-read sequencing platforms.