The Sequencing Research & Development (R&D) Lab at NYGC conducts cutting-edge research in support of scientific collaboration, focusing on innovative genomic assay and technology development. A Scientist in the Sequencing R&D Lab will contribute to the discovery, development and implementation of novel strategies to solve complex problems at the forefront of genomics research. The ideal candidate has a background in molecular biology, biochemistry or related fields with experience working with primary cells preferred. Experience with imaging technologies and NGS-based assays is a plus.Strong interpersonal and communication skills are required, as this role will work on an interdisciplinary team and actively collaborate across several functional teams to develop and implement innovative new technologies into production. The ability to thrive in a fast-paced and shifting environment is essential.
- Develop and implement strategies to prepare samples and libraries for next-generation sequencing platforms, including methods that capture single-cell and multi-modal data, liquid biopsy, long and linked reads and spatial data;
- Develop protocols for cell dissociation and handling of primary cells to maximize viability in support of single-cell methods;
- Design and perform relevant experiments to evaluate and develop NGS-based assays and technology;
- Contribute to troubleshooting and improving current laboratory methods;
- Analyze, interpret and report scientific findings at NYGC-wide meetings and to senior management;
- Work with internal and external research groups to conduct experiments using cutting-edge techniques;
- Demonstrate initiative in identifying opportunities for research and collaboration, working independently, actively and creatively to design and execute strategies to address them;
- Be a source of knowledge for the team and the rest of the center in applying molecular biology tools to solve specific research problems;
- Maintain significant knowledge of current, relevant scientific literature and communicate key developments to other group members; and,
- Take an active part in lab meetings, sharing and improving the knowledge of the team and obtaining information relevant to the team’s goals.