Illumina is a dynamic life sciences company developing groundbreaking sequencing and microarray technologies for genome analysis. Our growing Oncology department is striving to develop technologies that will transform basic cancer research and improve diagnostics and prediction of treatment response in cancer by using medical specimens such as archived tissue samples, blood samples and circulating tumor DNA.
As a Scientist I in the Oncology business unit, you will support the development of sample preparation products for Oncology using Illumina’s technology. You will be part of multidisciplinary team solving complex problems and working on integration issues. You will be expected to understand product development goals and follow design control processes.
Job duties include but are not limited to:
- Plan and execute various laboratory activities with limited instruction
- Work on extremely complex problems as part of collaborative team
- Perform routine chemical and biochemical testing
- Using standard laboratory instrumentation: i.e. UV-VIS, BioAnalyzer/Fragment Analyzer, fluorescence plate readers, liquid handling robotics, thermocyclers
- Produce and test complex reagents while maintaining proper documentation
- Hands-on development of sample preparation kits for DNA and RNA sequencing systems - including working with bioinformatics on data analysis and interpretation
- System level testing, assay testing, and data analysis on large complex data sets
- Participating in product development activities such as planning, feasibility, development and transfer
- Draft documents such as work instructions and SOPs
- Keeping a laboratory notebook
- Present written and verbal updates, write reports, and conduct technical meetings
- Exercises independent judgment in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining result