Research Associate - 91779
Organization: JG-Joint Genome Institute
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab’s (LBNL, https://www.lbl.gov/) Joint Genome Institute (JGI, https://jgi.doe.gov/) Division has an opening for a Research Associate to join the team. The Research Associate will provide research and production support for liquid chromatography mass spectrometry (LC-MS) instrument operation and sample preparation for metabolomics tasks within a high-throughput sample environment in support of DOE mission areas in clean energy generation, climate, and environmental sciences.
This position will support a twelve-month project starting in 2021 with JGI metabolomics workflows that require basic analytical chemistry and biochemistry knowledge and skills. The Research Associate will be responsible for understanding the latest mass spectrometry technologies, support new technology development, and implement new protocols for the JGI Metabolomics Platform. The Research Associate will also troubleshoot process failures and participate in optimization of protocols with emphasis placed on meeting metabolomics production metrics goals.
What You Will Do:
• Perform standard procedures using ESI mass spectrometers (Thermo QExactive and ID-X), automated liquid handling systems, UHPLC, lyophilizer, SpeedVac, centrifuge, and water bath sonicator.
• Perform mass spectrometry data analysis workflows.
• Prepare sets of metabolite standard solutions for LC-MS method development.
• Perform and troubleshoot sample extractions using robotic automation equipment and manual methods following standardized operating procedures involving the safe handling of multiple types of solvents and work with a wide range of samples types. (soils, fungi, microbes, environmental water, etc.)
• Participate in group and team meetings.
• Routinely perform basic lab support duties, including equipment maintenance, purchase of consumables, lab and freezer organization, requisitioning of waste, etc.
• Maintain a detailed lab notebook as well as instrumentation and sample logs.
• Follow EH&S guidelines to ensure the safety of one's self and others in the lab and office spaces.
For full consideration, please apply by January 19, 2021.
• This is a full time, 1-year, term appointment with the possibility of extension or conversion to Career appointment based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• Salary will be determined based on range by collective bargaining agreement.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at: Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.