R&D Automation Engineering Lead(IT Early Sol Smart Automation Lead)
795 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139
Cambridge, MA, MA 02139
competitive benefits package
Reporting to the U.S. Head of IT, the IT Early Solutions Smart Automation Lead will contribute to the vision by engaging UCB ‘s research organization across all scientific disciplines. As IT Early Solutions Smart Automation Lead, you will bolster digitization of essential R&D activities at the sites in Cambridge, MA. You will implement and support transformative technology projects and as you grow in your role and in close partnership with your stakeholders you will increasingly get the opportunity to co-create the future vision and convert it into concrete initiatives.
You will contribute by:
- Enabling new core UCB research activities in an international context
- Engaging with UCB scientists in Early Solutions, direct colleagues, UCB IT partners and vendors and integrating cutting edge lab automation software solutions, robotics and sample management systems according to research requirements.
- Using your technical skills, ensuring seamless integration of these technologies with UCB data management solutions, e.g. through vendor providing API’s or by working with colleagues and developers to co-create bespoke middleware.
- Supporting the globalization of UCB Early Solutions by enabling seamless transfer of data from the lab to in-house data science platforms, cloud solutions as well as between UCB sites in the US, UK and BE.
- Actively demonstrating the power of intelligent automation and data management platforms and delivering solutions in a highly agile and timely manner, in lock step with the rapidly evolving requirements of research, changing the way in which scientists and IT work together.
- Using your creativity and curiosity while identifying technical solutions to challenging research problems or diagnosing issues with existing IT solutions.
- Having a can-do attitude and technical know-how allowing you to draft clear plans prior to executing projects.
- Helping colleagues by continually documenting and mapping the current and future technology landscape within UCB research.
- Actively engaging directly with your stakeholders in their familiar working environment and actively seeking out topics to tackle
- Learning and adopting new tools in your daily activities by building simple e.g. instrument automation scripts, small programs, use of VM’s or Docker containers or other open-source tools to address urgent research requirements in a timely manner.
- Tackling challenges and identifying when you need to seek the support of your network at UCB.
- Actively build actively build long term trust and confidence with stakeholders and colleagues and do not compromise the quality of work
- Master’s degree in computer science, (bioscience) engineering, biomedical sciences.
- Minimum 2 years of experience with technology solutioning.
- Minimum 2 years of experience software development tools and scientific data analysis (e.g. (Power)shell, Python, .Net/C#)
- Knowledge of protein science and bioprocess topics and automation
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary environment where you combine hands-on IT skills with a genuine interest in healthcare and biopharmaceutical research
- Knowledge of Sharepoint Online and Excel Macros would be a plus
- Excellent Communication skills, able to convey technical topics to a non-expert audience or to abstract scientific contexts when engaging with IT partners
- You are curious and motivated, even when tackling multidisciplinary or unfamiliar projects
- Great organizational skills and ability to multitask -You are organized and structured
How to Apply
About Our Organization
At UCB, we come together every day to work, laser-focused, on a simple question: How will this create value for people living with severe diseases? By putting patients at the heart of everything we do, our approach – from discovery to development to delivery – is continuously transformed and designed around patient needs and their journey.
With a team of approximately 7,500 employees worldwide operations in more than 40 countries, we are a global biopharmaceutical company investing more than a quarter of our revenue in cutting-edge scientific research. We are focused on addressing chronic, neurological, immunological, and bone diseases. We are looking for people with passion and empathy who develop a real understanding of patient’s needs and can deliver thoughtful solutions to decisionmakers across the heath care ecosystem.
Curious to know more? Please visit our website www.ucb.com.