RA/Scientist, Molecular Biology, Lab Operations
Purpose of the Position:
Performing molecular biology assays, testing specimens, analyzing the results, and preparing them for reporting.
- Plan and execute assigned genomic assay testing activities following DxTerity standard operating procedures, applying scientific knowledge and accumulated experience to complete projects within established timelines.
- Analyze data, evaluate results, form conclusions, troubleshoot, and provide and/or implement product, process, or documentation improvements.
- Document work results, summarize data files and e-records, write reports.
- Work closely and coordinate activities with team members in a collaborative environment.
- Perform routine laboratory tasks, such as lab organization, clean-up, equipment maintenance, ordering and stocking of the Lab Operations group supplies, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned or as needed.
- Adjust work schedule to meet time-sensitive project milestones.
Education and Experience:
- B.S. or M.S. in molecular biology or related scientific discipline.
- 1-3 years of related hands-on laboratory experience with molecular biology and genomic analysis techniques and methods in a core laboratory, university, or industry settings is required. This includes but not limited to DNA and RNA isolation and quantification, PCR, analysis by gel or capillary electrophoresis, etc.
- Experience in using laboratory automation and associated programming is desired.
- Experience in quantitative gene expression assays, immunoassays, and NGS experience is a plus.
- Experience in developing new molecular diagnostic products and working in a commercial IVD setting is a plus.
- Prior experience working in a QSR-compliant environment is desired.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to efficiently evaluate, prioritize, and handle multiple and changing projects and priorities.
- Dependability, following instructions, responding to management direction, completing tasks on time or notifying appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Ability to deal with frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events, maintaining composure while working under pressure.
- Ability to work with a limited supervision as well as in a collaborative team setting.
- Strong interpersonal skills that foster a positive environment.
- Technical writing skills to document results in the form of lab notebooks, reports and procedures.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in the English language.
- Ability to interpret and summarize experimental results in a clear, concise, and accurate manner.
- Solid computer skills including proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
- High-standard GLP conduct in the lab. Working in a biohazard environment, practicing good safety habits.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work entails regularly performing tasks while working at a computer, desk, laboratory bench or automated machine. Work in laboratory or operational areas containing biohazardous materials. Work may involve occasional climbing or balance. Work entails occasional lifting and/or moving up to 25 pounds.
The employee’s sensory modalities (vision, hearing, smell) and physical capabilities (ambulation without mechanical assistance, strength, coordination, dexterity, range of motion) must be sufficient to independently perform duties/functions of the position.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position will involve a combination of office and biotechnology laboratory environments. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to hazardous chemicals, blood-borne pathogens, automated equipment, and high levels of noise and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.