About The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine: Comprising 183,000 square feet of highly advanced, state-of-the-art laboratories and supporting facilities, JAX-GM is conveniently located midway between NYC and Boston, in the heart of Connecticut. JAX-GM is part of an exciting, internationally-recognized research and educational institution with unparalleled genomic resources and research support services.
About the position: This position manages the wet lab operations and personnel in the Clinical Genomics Laboratory (CGL) at JAX Genomic Medicine. Primary responsibilities include maintaining technical quality standards, overseeing day-to-day operations, managing throughput of the laboratory sample processing, and meeting all regulatory (CLIA/CAP) requirements. The incumbent is responsible for development, implementation and clinical validation of new methods and instrumentation, including high-throughput sequencing (HTS) and other related genomic technologies.
This position requires a high degree of technical abilities in DNA and RNA analysis as would be performed in a molecular diagnostics and/or production laboratory, as well as leadership skills to develop personnel and guide them in their development and operational roles. The position also requires administrative duties such as laboratory reports, management of quality metrics, and regular personnel meetings.
- Manage the operations of the laboratory technicians while providing mentorship and coaching. Establish and track annual goals and performance review. Assign group resources to processes/projects maximizing throughput and quality.
- Directly oversee efficiency, documentation, SOP’s, and general lab activity of the clinical genomics laboratory. Develop/implement process control and QA/QC measures and ensure personnel follow prescribed SOP's and practices. Generate monthly, quarterly, and annual metrics reports and work with the financial analyst to maintain accurate costing models of service offerings and development projects. Successfully sustain CLIA/CAP certification, including competency and proficiency assessments, for molecular diagnostics laboratory.
- Coordinate implementation and clinical validation of new services/instrumentation and improvements to existing processes. Perform/assign/interpret experiments addressing the implementation of new methods and/or instrumentation into the service. Collaborate with other groups internal and external to JAX as needed to coordinate molecular data analysis practices including the investigation and development of tools and methods. Be kept abreast of advances in the field, evaluating alternative methodologies and implementing them to improve the quality of current services or to provide new services.
- Work at the bench processing samples as needed for production, personnel training, and development projects.
- Participate/ facilitate meetings with external as well as internal JAX constituencies for the clinical lab. Project Management including coordination, collaboration and presentation of pertinent information for cross-functional projects through customer calls, project summaries, meetings and lab tours.