Position: Clinical Lab Technologist
Job Type: Full-Time
The HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology (www.hudsonalpha.org) is a non-profit organization with the mission to use biotechnology and basic biological research to make important discoveries, improve human health, stimulate economic development, inspire young people to seek careers in science and teach members of the public the importance of science in their everyday lives. Located in Cummings Research Park in Huntsville, Alabama, one of the world's leading science and technology parks, HudsonAlpha's campus contains state-of-the-art laboratories for biological research and development, as well as education, in the areas of genomics, genetics and personalized medicine.
The Clinical Services Lab, LLC is a CLIA-certified, CAP-accredited laboratory that offers personalized genomic services. Our goal is to provide the most complete clinical genomic services by incorporating HAIB's scientific discoveries into clinical care for improved technical, informatic and interpretive processes. The CSL serves as a resource for patients, healthcare providers, systems, and, payers about the appropriate use of genomic services.
The Clinical Lab Technologist demonstrates an understanding of the scientific principles of clinical laboratory testing in addition to the technical, procedural, safety, and problem-solving aspects. The Clinical Lab technologist carries out clinical protocols as determined by the Laboratory Supervisor, following procedures exactly as outlined, ensuring the consistency of clinical results; and verifies the validity of test results through monitoring of quality controls, standards, etc. The clinical Lab Technologist also maintains patient, specimen, and tracking data using laboratory-specific computer systems while preserving patient privacy. The Clinical Lab technologist assumes responsibility for professional development and for maintaining competency in laboratory processes.
JOB SPECIFIC TASKS
- Performs hands-on laboratory work according to clinically approved protocols and in compliance with CLIA and CAP regulations
- Immediately reviews initial test outcomes and takes action regarding quality control and quality assurance issues
- Utilizes good judgment, analytical and troubleshooting skills when assessing test outcomes
- Accurately documents quality control activities, instrument, and procedural calibrations and maintenance
- Participates in general lab maintenance such as cleaning freezers, shared lab space and equipment, and stocking shared reagents and consumables
- Participates in continuing education and required competency assessments
- Other duties as assigned