Pacific Biosciences™ is seeking a Field Applications Scientist (FAS) with a strong customer focus to support installations, training, validation, and implementation for customers and collaborators using SMRT™ sequencing technology with the Sequel and Sequel II Instrumentation systems.
The ability to communicate with customers both pre- and post-sales, interact with marketing, internal support and development, and communicate results to diverse audiences are important aspects of this role. In addition, pre-sales and post-sales activities will be conducted in conjunction with our Sales organization.
This individual will be working in a fast-paced commercial environment, interacting with customers as well as other scientists and engineers from a wide variety of backgrounds. This individual is a partner to the customer in the understanding and analysis of data derived through the use of our 3rd generation sequencing platform.
The position will be based within New England in MA, CT or RI of the United States. The candidate must live near an international airport.
- Assist customers in designing and conducting experiments to effectively utilize the Sequel system instruments in their laboratories
- Work with Technical Support team to provide timely technical and application assistance in response to customer inquiries
- Work with Account Managers to identify business opportunities, understand customer research needs, and position appropriate PacBio products and solutions
- Assist Sales team in conducting scientific presentations to internal and external audiences for pre- and post-sales activities
- Work with Market Development team to define/develop models for competitive positioning of Single Molecule Sequencing Real-Time (SMRT™) technology
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with customers and key opinion leaders in assigned territory
- Be a customer-minded individual with the empathy to understand customer concerns
- Able to efficiently problem-solve and overcome technical challenges in the field
- Team player who can effectively integrate internal and field-based activities across functions to support customer requirements
- Assess the customer’s experimental needs and implement training, experimental designs, and analytical approaches to ensure customer success and communicate results to appropriate internal teams
- Assist in the development of technical documentation and training presentations
- Provide scientific and applications feedback to R&D, Product Marketing, and Sales teams. Work with these teams to continually improve workflows associated with 3rd generation sequencing in order to support the use of the PacBio platforms.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.