Engineer, Photonics Design
1305 O’Brien Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Pacific Biosciences is looking for a talented individual to join the chip design group, working on current and next generation product development and analysis. The candidate will help invent, model, design and test novel photonic structures for Single Molecule Real Time Sequencing. The candidate will be involved in the prototyping of the new devices and work with both development and production groups to bring selected innovations into full production. Responsibilities also include hands-on testing of fabricated structures. The engineer will be part of cross-functional teams and will have to interface with a wide range of disciplines, such as enzymology, chemistry, instrumentation engineering, process development.
- Work with the chip design team to identify potential innovations for Pacific Biosciences chips and systematically evaluate their potential performance in-silico using a variety of simulation tools
- Collaborate with process development team during prototype fabrication
- Design of integrated optical components for Pacific Biosciences chips
- Follow up on fabrication of prototypes for new concepts and execute test plans to evaluate their performance against design
- Design, build and verification of custom test tools to measure device-specific performance parameters
- Implementation of design into a layout with the aid of a CAD tool
- Documentation of optical component and tool designs
- PhD in Electrical Engineering or Physics or Master’s degree in computer or electrical engineering and 1+ years’ experience or equivalent experience in industry
- A strong theoretical and practical understanding of integrated optics and silicon-based photosensors
- Perform numerical simulation of Optical Near-Field Structures using FDTD methods (Lumerical), beam propagation method.
- Extensive experience writing algorithms for data processing and image processing (Matlab, Python)
- Experience with CMOS Image sensor or related photosensor technology design a strong plus
- Design of mechanical parts and jigs in AutoCAD, SolidWorks a plus
- Design, construction and automation of custom measurement systems, especially as it pertains to integrated optics test stands, photosensor characterization, microscopy systems and electrical probing stands a plus
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.
How to Apply
About Our Organization
PacBio is a leading provider of high quality, long-read sequencing platforms.