The Northwest Genomics Center (NWGC) at the University of Washington is one of the leading genome centers in the United States. The NWGC, housed in the Department of Genome Sciences, is the largest self-sustaining genome center in the Pacific Northwest and one of the most successful genome centers in the country. It has partnered to deliver exome and/or whole genome sequence (WGS) data for many highly successful large-scale human genetic projects for both rare conditions and common diseases. These projects include the Centers for Mendelian Genomics (CMG), the NHLBI Trans-Omics for Precision Medicine Program (TOPMed) and, most recently, the All of Us Research Program.
The Department of Genome Sciences’ Northwest Genomics Center currently has an outstanding opportunity for a CLINICAL LABORATORY QUALITY ASSURANCE SPECIALIST - RESEARCH SCIENTIST / ENGINEER 3.
The CLINICAL LABORATORY QUALITY ASSURANCE (QA) SPECIALIST, a Research Scientist/Engineer 3, will ensure the quality and efficiency of laboratory tests, products and services for a CLIA-certified clinical laboratory performing next generation sequencing, genotyping, and qRT-PCR in the Department of Genome Sciences and the Brotman Baty Institute for Precision Medicine. As part of a large cutting-edge genomics group, this laboratory provides clinical-grade whole genome, targeted gene sequencing and genotyping of subject-derived samples and interacts with investigators worldwide. The laboratory also supports the Seattle Flu Study by performing molecular testing to detect respiratory pathogens, including SARS-CoV-2.
• Create and review laboratory SOPs for processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of subject test results.
• Develop and maintain QC, QA and proficiency for all test documentation.
• Perform primary data quality evaluation and review results.
• Oversee the creation of technical development documentation (validation planning and documentation) for new and updated laboratory tests to specifications required by regulatory agencies
• Participate in the development of novel educational tools/programs for training, maintaining technical competency, and QA/QI.
• Collaborate with existing clinical research units to support ongoing laboratory projects.
• Ensure compliance with all federal and state regulations as well as accreditation requirements that impact laboratory operations.
• Collaborate and review quality control standards and programs; monitor proficiency testing.
• Use LIMs to perform data entry, editing, quality control and quality assurance and other duties as assigned.