Board Member Job Description
1. Regularly attends board meetings and important related meetings.
2. Makes serious commitment to participate actively in committee work.
3. Volunteers for and willingly accepts assignments and completes them thoroughly and on time.
4. Stays informed about committee matters, prepares themselves well for meetings, and reviews and comments on minutes and reports.
5. Gets to know other committee members and builds a collegial working relationship that contributes to consensus.
6. Is an active participant in the committee's annual evaluation and planning efforts.
7. Participates in fund raising for the organization. Ideally the Board Member will have strong interest, and hopefully experience, in one or more of the following: funding of biomedical research in disciplines such as cancer/oncology, cardiovascular disease/cardiology, diabetes, and neurologic health problems. S/he will also have effective participation in Board activities, advising and providing council on legal documentation, necessary filings, hiring processes, personnel policies and salary scale. Exceptional talent in fund raining and/or marketing will be highly valued. These areas involve identifying prospective donors, building relationships with them and developing strategies for their cultivation.
Committee Chair Job Description
1. Is a member of the Board
2. Sets tone for the committee work.
3. Ensures that members have the information needed to do their jobs.
4. Oversees the logistics of committee's operations.
5. Reports to the Board's Chair.
6. Reports to the full Board on committee's decisions/recommendations.
7. Works closely with the Chief Executive and other staff as agreed to by the Chief Executive.
8. Assigns work to the committee members, sets the agenda and runs the meetings, and ensures distribution of meeting minutes.
9. Initiates and leads the committee's annual evaluation.