As Illumina's Bioinformatics Engineer, you will assist in implementation and support of analysis pipelines based on the prototypes of tertiary data analysis algorithms. This is a newly created role in the software informatics group, with primary responsibility over CLIA lab bioinformatics software and system technical support. The successful candidate will act as an internal agent to troubleshoot the lab issues and work with the development team to resolve it.
The main focus of the position is to support operations of the CLIA lab, help with the interpretation of analysis studies results and configuration/tuning of the pipeline, provide QC assessments of the data and pre-defined work instructions. The Bioinformatics Support Engineer will work closely with R&D scientists, software, database, and outside teams to deliver cutting edge bioinformatics solutions.
- Help in configuration and interpretation of data analysis NGS results to support current CLIA lab operations and assay development experiments
- Help design and interpret statistically powered studies to support test/lab improvements
- Assist in analysis of massively parallel sequencing (NGS) genomic data
- Work collaboratively with other bioinformatics and research scientists to support QC assessment and standardized analysis protocols for each of the projects as appropriate
- Work with the Bioinformatics team to implement new analysis methods in the pipelines based on R&D prototypes
- Coordinate tasks such as collection of requirements, software verification and validation
- Communicate findings to the research scientists and present results to the R&D, process engineering, and CLIA teams
- Develop new lab reports or customize existing ones to meet specific scientific project needs
Required Skills & Experience
- Master’s degree in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Statistics or related
- Must have minimum of 2+ years’ experience in a similar position including general experience in Life Sciences, Genomics, CLIA lab or Pharmaceutical industries
- Experience with supporting / using bioinformatics pipelines
- Experience with R, Java, Perl / Python or other scripting languages
- Experience with statistical and mathematical modeling with genomic data
- Experience with LIMS and databases MS SQL and Postgres
- Expertise with issue tracking and revision control systems
- Understanding of security and privacy considerations
- Experience with implementation of xGMPs, CLIA and FDA guidelines in a regulated/design controlled environment
- Experience with genomic analysis of sequencing data – ChIP-Seq, RNA-Seq, GRO-Seq
- Experience with machine learning, Bayesian statistics, clustering/classification, multivariate analysis
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability and willingness to work in a fast paced environment
- Excellent time and project management skills.
- Experience with molecular diagnostics, particularly NIPT is highly desirable
- Must have proficient written, communication and presentation skills with the ability to present to both scientific and corporate audiences.
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.
Illumina is improving human health by unlocking the power of the genome. Our focus on innovation has established us as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies, serving customers in the research, clinical and applied markets. Our products are used for applications in the life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging segments. To learn more, visit www.illumina.com and follow @illumina.
We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Our revenue grew from $10 million in 2002 to approximately $2.4 billion in 2016. Our growth isn’t just revenue, we’ve been hiring the best and the brightest. Perhaps that’s why MIT has ranked Illumina near the top of its “World’s Smartest Companies” list each of the last three years. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you – imagine the possibilities.