Back-End Software Bioinformatics Engineer - Java Dev
Roche Sequencing Solutions, 2881 Scott Blvd
Open to Remote in U.S.
Santa Clara, CA 95050
Make a Big Difference
As a Principal Backend Software Engineer, you are joining a passionate software engineering team to build sequencing products to change patients’ lives. You will design, implement, and test software features & product infrastructure, primarily from a backend perspective while working with cloud technology - AWS, Server less computing, Java, distributed platform, Spring Boot, and more. Ultimately, the software you produce will affect patient care globally.
Who you are
You have experience building scalable server side applications, have a passion for reliability and security and are curious about the trends in web development. Work with management to set priorities. Excellent communication skills and teamwork is necessary!
• Participate in requirements refinement, architecture discussions, design specification reviews, and test plan development for features across the full stack
• Provide technical guidance to software engineering team
• Write clean, maintainable code and documentation using engineering best practices.
• Write unit, component, and integration tests
• Design, implement, and test backend APIs
• Work with quality engineering teams to design test plans for developed software
• Research new tools, technologies, and test processes for software developments
• Provide informal leadership to junior developers within the team and act as a coach and mentor in all spheres of the Software Development Life Cycle.
• Utilize systems thinking and strong technical expertise to progress critical software development projects through all aspects of the SDLC; from conception to testing to product delivery
• 8+ years’ experience in hands-on software development
• B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent field
• Experience in the development and support of product-level bioinformatics pipelines and bioinformatics software
• Experience building software products using Java, Spring and REST APIs
• Experience with relational databases such as Postgres, MySql
• Experience with micro-services architecture and development including associated tools
• Ability and desire to learn new technologies
• Experience with Agile / Lean practices and scalable architecture
Nice to have
• Experience with bioinformatics tools, such as Nextflow, GATK
• Familiarity with HPC or cloud solutions using AWS
• Familiarity developing regulated products under design control
How to Apply
About Our Organization
Our software teams are laying the groundwork for the future by developing powerful bioinformatics algorithms, data analysis tools, and software/systems infrastructures so researchers and clinicians can make better health decisions faster. The path to curing cancer lies in ones and zeros as we work with next-generation genomic sequencing, a new frontier. The complexity and sheer size of the data in the life sciences will make astronomical data problems look modest.
Do you want to develop software products that scientists and others in the life sciences will use to diagnose, find treatments, and eventually beat diseases like cancer? Our team builds highly scalable, reliable software and secure systems for better diagnostics. Come join us!