Coldhams Business Park
We are seeking an experienced and ambitious Applications Specialist to help with the development of our technology.
You will develop a strong understanding or our technology, its current and future capabilities and the applications this can be applied to in user laboratories. You will research the downstream needs and workflows of our target customers, identifying the methods and protocols that will be significant to users of our platforms. Using your understanding of customer workflows you will advise on platform specifications and develop protocols specific to the needs of our users.
You will be working as part of a closely-knit multidisciplinary team of synthetic chemists, engineers, physicists, surface chemists, software engineers and biologists, and so will possess a willingness to rapidly assimilate new information and apply it to your own work as we develop this radical new technology.
You are likely to have a background in molecular biology research, ideally within the field of synthetic biology, and to have spent time working in a commercial organisation developing and/or supporting applications, methods and protocols with and for end users. You will be interested in developing and applying your understanding of user needs to the process of product specification and development.
This is the first position to be recruited in our applications team and as such there is every opportunity for a dedicated and keen recruit to build on this role further over time, with opportunities for career progression as the company expands.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain expertise in relevant laboratory protocols, including but not limited to methods of gene assembly, error correction, cloning, protein expression and applications of oligonucleotide pools.
- Maintain awareness of laboratory methods across the field of synthetic biology.
- Engage with relevant user laboratories to understand workflows and protocols.
- Prepare protocols, including hands on laboratory validation, either individually or in collaboration with scientists at Evonetix and/or in user laboratories.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive database of applications, methods and protocols relevant to the downstream workflows of Evonetix users.
- Advise on system requirements relative to downstream workflows.
- Assist in the identification of user group with specifically targeted needs.
- Recent experience of working in a research molecular biology lab environment.
- Experience of the development of standardised molecular biology protocols, ideally for commercial products.
- Experience in the methods and techniques of synthetic biology.
- Experience of working in commercial technical support and/or applications development.
- Strong interest in engaging with end-user scientist to understand their workflows and challenges.
- Good knowledge of laboratory health and safety requirements for safe handling of biological and chemical reagents.
- Meticulous and detail-orientated planning and execution of work.
- Ability to communicate scientific concepts with accuracy and clarity both orally and in writing.
- Computer literate, familiar with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc. and ability to learn how to use other tools including SalesForce, SharePoint, etc.
How to Apply
About Our Organization
Evonetix is a mid-stage start-up biotech company which is set to revolutionize gene synthesis and dramatically accelerate gene synthesis for synthetic biology. Our desktop gene synthesis platform is based on a novel silicon array, manufactured with semiconductor microfabrication techniques and capable of the independent control of many thousands of miniaturised reaction sites, allowing massive parallelism of the DNA synthesis and gene assembly processes in a way never previously achieved.
We in the middle of our $30M Series B funding round and are based in a state-of-the-art facility in central Cambridge, UK where we are carrying out the development of our commercial gene synthesiser and are currently seeking to further grow our team across several disciplines.