Laboratory Inventory Associate
101 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10013
We are looking for a highly motivated, independent but team-oriented Laboratory Inventory Associate to join our existing and growing inventory management team. This position will support the Senior Manager, Production Lab with inventory management services, as well as other general support outlined, but not limited to, the duties listed below.
- Accountable for receiving and unpacking consumables, samples and reagents;
- Accountable for maintaining an organized and clean stockroom and freezer rooms;
- Accountable for ensuring laboratories are stocked and wash racks are refilled;
- Establish and maintain good relations with all reagents vendors;
- Responsible for placing orders for needed consumables and reagents in a timely manner;
- Conduct Purchase Order follow-up while trouble-shooting and expediting, and act as the first point of contact;
- Set up and monitor standing orders and shipments, make changes to schedules as needed;
- Accountable for ensuring appropriate tracking of material levels and utilization, organizing inventory and monitoring product expiration;
- Partner closely with the Lab Management team, to ensure proper stocking of laboratories;
- Perform and provide lab management with weekly inventory reporting;
- Partner with the accounting team on monthly inventory reports;
- Analyze inventory reports for trends that would affect reorder points and adjust as necessary;
- Review inventory activity, and identify and address areas for improvement;
- Barcode plastic ware and enter new products into inventory system;
- Remove bio-hazardous and chemical waste from the laboratories;
- Autoclave and glass washing;
- Ship and receive collaborator samples;
- Assist Lab with monthly & weekly equipment maintenance, including the fluorescence activated cell sorter;
- Manage the fluorescence activated cell sorter as a shared resource and conduct troubleshooting as required;
- Manage a real-time chemical inventory system, including a database of safety data sheets;
- Preparation of common buffers and stock solutions, as well as agar plates;
- Adhere to all EHS regulations.
FLSA Status – Non-Exempt
This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship or relocation assistance.
Requirements & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in a scientific field;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, preferably with Mac OS;
- Previous experience as Lab Support/Stockroom Attendant or laboratory technician in a molecular biology laboratory is a plus;
- Good organizational skills including the ability to work independently and efficiently are essential;
- Ability to multitask is a must, along with an orientation toward teamwork and cooperation;
- Ability to lift 50lbs at times;
- Excellent communication skills are required.
- Job Mastery - Knowledgeable of the current role and technical skills, and the impact it has on the Center.
- Continuous Learning – Strives to expand the depth and breadth of technical and professional skills.
- Collaborative – Encourages participation from team members and works effectively with all levels.
- Credible – Works with a high level of integrity.
- Communicative – Actively listens to others and uses good judgment as to what to communicate to whom; provides feedback.
- Focused – Utilizes efficient and effective processes.
- Adaptable – Demonstrate flexibility with changing priorities.
- Innovative – Develops new insights and pursues improvements.
- Takes Ownership – Prioritizes tasks, manages time, and delivers on commitments.
How to Apply
About Our Organization
About the New York Genome Center
The New York Genome Center (NYGC) is an independent, nonprofit academic research institution at the forefront of transforming biomedical research with the mission of advancing clinical care. A collaboration of premier academic, medical and industry leaders across the globe, the New York Genome Center is committed to advancing genomic research and offering clinical genomic testing so that new treatments, therapies and therapeutics against human disease can be developed. NYGC member organizations and partners are united in this unprecedented collaboration of technology, science and medicine, designed to harness the power of innovation and discoveries to advance genomic services.
The New York Genome Center is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic predisposition or carrier status, protected veteran or military status, domestic violence victim status, partnership status, caregiver status, alienage or citizenship status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. The New York Genome Center takes affirmative action in support of its policy to hire and advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.