Senior Staff Engineer, Systems Integration
2560 Orchard Parkway
San Jose, CA 95131
Job Title: Senior Staff Engineer, Systems Integration
Reports to: Director Engineering, Systems
FLSA Class: Exempt
Introduction to Job Post:
Takara Bio USA is looking for a highly skilled, creative, and self-motivated individual to troubleshoot complex issues, and to lead continuous improvements projects. The individual may also plan and execute verification and validation projects. In this position, the Sr. Staff Engineer works in collaboration with various teams — hardware, software, field service, instrument manufacturing, and molecular biology — to coordinate and execute troubleshooting, continuous improvements, and development projects.
The Senior Staff Engineer role is office-based.
- In collaboration with other engineers and scientists, develop, deploy and test engineering solutions to support the various components of the company’s instrumentation systems such as the Single Cell, NGS, and PCR platforms.
- Document engineering designs and implementations.
- Develop and execute plans to test the company’s designs.
- May contribute to the generation of IP.
- Implements product specifications.
- Contributes to the development of product specifications based on the MRDs.
- Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of multiple factors.
- Select the appropriate metrics to evaluate the performance of a complex technical approach/solution to a problem that can be multidisciplinary.
- Work independently and reach out to management when direction is needed.
- Manages multidisciplinary projects.
- May provide guidance to other engineers.
- Follows engineering processes such as ECN, document control, design control, and tracking systems.
- Recognizes situations in which the different processes should be used and understands interactions between the systems.
- Generate test data to support Engineering Change Notices and release of new and upgraded products.
- Good communications skills. Clearly document and present the results of the designs and investigations.
- Networks with personnel of other departments including Marketing.
- This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Education/Certification, Experience, and Competencies:
- Typically requires a master’s degree and a minimum of 5 years of related experience, or a bachelor’s degree with a minimum 8 years. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Prior experience in microfluidics and PCR instrumentation is required—including development of prototypes.
- Experience developing instrumentation for biotechnology applications.
- Understanding of fundamental engineering concepts.
- Experience with product development life cycle processes.
- Experience working in a regulated environment is a plus.
- Experience/knowledge in the following is required:
- Fluidics control
- Microfluidics control
- Troubleshooting serial communication issues
- Bridge across multiple departments to manage projects.
- Experience developing assays such as NGS and PCR in automated platforms is a plus.
Takara Bio USA, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.