Lead Lab Automation Engineer
201 Industrial Road
San Carlos, CA 94070
The Lead Automation Engineer within the Process Engineering Group contributes to the development and implementation of automation systems and workflows to support the processing of samples in a clinical diagnostics laboratory environment. This individual collaborates with a team of scientists and engineers on projects to conceptualize, design, develop, and implement solutions designed to optimize the performance and increase the efficiencies of the laboratory processes.
- Program liquid handling robots.
- Build rapport with end-users, and coordinate with cross-functional teams
- Develop and integrate the automation systems and related software tools, preparing the documentation for equipment validation and operating procedures to ensure successful implementation in the labs
- Prepare User Requirement and Testing Procedure, Standard Operating Procedures, and related documentations
- Oversee the functional and validation testing, IQ/OQ/PQ
- Additional responsibilities include user training, troubleshooting, optimizing the workflows, and on-going support for the end-users
- BS degree in Biomedical engineering, closely related scientific field, or equivalent; MS degree preferred
- A minimum of 5 years of laboratory automation engineering experience required with a minimum of 6-7 years of relevant related experience
- Technical proficiency and experience in automation and systems development and integration for the life science industry; especially with robotics and liquid handling systems. Experience with Beckman Liquid Handlers required.
- Experience in computer programing is required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Strong project management skills, organizational skills, and written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Flexibility and self-initiative required to support several simultaneous automation projects.
- Biotech, pharmaceutical, Lab automation providers, or clinical-laboratory experience is highly desirable
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- This position requires the ability to use a computer keyboard, communicate over the telephone and read printed material.
- Duties may require working outside normal working hours (evenings and weekends) at times