Manager, External Business Development
836 North Streeet
Tewksbury, MA 01876
Requisition Number: 49951
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
As a leading developer, manufacturer, and global supplier of scientific laboratory products for 100 years, Corning’s Life Sciences segment collaborates with researchers seeking new approaches to increase efficiencies, reduce costs and compress timelines in the drug discovery process. Using unique expertise in the fields of materials science, surface science, optics, biochemistry and biology, the segment provides innovative solutions that improve productivity and enable breakthrough discoveries.
Scope of Position:
As part of Corning Life Sciences’ External Business Development team, this role Identifies, analyzes, pursues, and secures profitable additions to the Life Sciences portfolio. Success is achieved through a variety of means including in-licensing, equity investments, acquisitions or other appropriate activities, tools, and processes.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Own a key element / focus area of the execution of the external development strategy.
- Identifies new opportunities to grow the Life Sciences portfolio with view towards gaining a more favorable position in current and new markets, improving profitability, or increasing market share of existing products and technology through new applications.
- Develops, coordinates, and leads internal processes designed to select / deselect opportunities.
- Works with Sales, Channel, Commercial Operation, Product Line Management, Marketing, Development, and other division stakeholders to understand feasibility of potential portfolio additions considering new market and customer insights.
- Conducts market and technology analysis to identify opportunities that are complimentary to the division’s strategy.
- Conducts early stage opportunity assessments to prioritize business development efforts.
- Works with Development, Engineering and Manufacturing to determine the manufacturability of potential new products, new applications of existing products, or adjacent technologies and builds a business case to support the launch.
- Leads the development of, or assists with developing, the business case, value proposition, and initial pricing strategy for products or programs through early stages of opportunity assessment until the full transition to Program Management or respective business.
- Works with the quality/regulatory group to understand the standards/specifications required for new products and technologies.
- Defines key success metrics for portfolio additions under management; tracks & communicates progress periodically to supervisor and / or key stakeholders.
- Develops a network within the industry to aid in the understanding of emerging and unmet requirements and informs management of these industry or market conditions.
- Leads discussions with other Corning functional groups (legal, procurement, etc.) as they pertain to due diligence, terms and conditions, commercial relationships, contracts, etc.
- Depending on the opportunity, leading strategy development activities for a specific area of focus may be required.
- Number of Direct Reports: zero
- Strategic and financial relevance of pipeline developed
- Return on business development efforts (return on new business opportunities; metrics could include ROI, IRR, Payback, or others specific to the project / opportunities)
- Revenue from portfolio additions (contribution to revenue as % of target)
- Growth (revenue growth from new business as % of target; revenue growth from new business compared to industry peer growth from new business)
- Gross margin (contribution to gross margin as a % of target)
- Bachelor’s degree in a Life Sciences or Engineering related field.
Required Years and Area of Experience:
- 7 years relevant work experience in life sciences tools, equipment, etc. type area with a proven track record.
- A working knowledge of how to strategically and financially evaluate opportunities and corresponding ability to communicate recommendations.
- Ability to use MS Office products – Excel, Word and Power Point.
- Ability to work with a high level of independence.
Desired Experience / Qualifications / Skills:
- Masters / MBA
- PhD in a Life Sciences Field of study
- Preference of field of study of Engineering, Life Sciences, Biotechnology, Chemistry or related.
- International / Global experience.
- Business development experience in a multi-national company.
- Working knowledge of contracts and negotiation skills.
- Perseverance and Interpersonal Savvy
- Business Acumen
- Ability to deal with Ambiguity
- Business and Strategic Agility
- Entrepreneurial Mindset
- Product / Process Knowledge
- Customer Knowledge and Influence
- 20 - 30% (this may cycle depending on time of year and needs of the role).
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- Standard business hours; Monday – Friday.
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other legally protected status.
How to Apply