Scientist, Assay Development
230 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
About the Company
Talis aims to transform diagnostic testing by developing and commercializing innovative products that are designed to enable accurate, reliable, low cost and rapid molecular testing for infectious diseases and other conditions at the point-of-care. While timely diagnosis of infectious diseases is critically important to enable effective treatment, testing is primarily performed in centralized laboratories, which require samples to be shipped for processing, delaying the return of results by days. Point-of-care testing solves this problem by delivering the timely information necessary for clinical care.
We are developing the Talis One platform, a sample-to-answer, cloud-enabled molecular diagnostic platform that, once authorized, could be rapidly deployed to distributed diagnostic settings in the United States and around the world to diagnose infectious disease at the point-of-care. The Talis One platform comprises a compact instrument, single-use test cartridges and software, including a central cloud database, which work together and are designed to provide central laboratory levels of accuracy and be operated by an untrained user.
Talis has raised more than $500 million in the past twelve months, including a $254 million IPO. We are actively preparing for our initial product launch that tests for COVID-19 and a rapid commercial and operations scale-up.
We are seeking a highly motivated, talented, and driven Scientist to join the Assay Development group in the R&D division at Talis Biomedical. This is a great opportunity to join a collaborative and dynamic team effort to enable development of rapid point of care diagnostic tests.
Reporting to the technical lead, the successful candidate will work in product development, which will include verification and validation activities. You will author, review, and edit SOPs, study protocols, reports and other documentation as needed. You will work collaboratively with others in Assay Development and other departments at Talis, including Assay Research, Operations, Quality, and Engineering. A strong understanding of nucleic acid biochemistry and experience working on cross-functional teams is required.
Position responsibilities but not limited to:
- Run hands-on experiments for microbiology, sample preparation, nucleic acid extraction and amplification.
- Perform data analysis of experiments using Excel, Minitab or similar tools.
- Work on product development related areas including integration testing as well as verification and validation testing.
- Author SOPs, test plans, protocols, reports and keep thorough records of performed experiments and data.
- Provide day-to-day guidance and support in the lab for Research Associates.
- Conduct planning and execution of experiments and data analysis to achieve goals according to deadlines.
- Responsible for consolidating data and preparing presentations for internal review. Present results to stakeholders across the company as needed.
- Maintain excellent levels of housekeeping, safety and environmental standards within the laboratory.
- Other duties as required.
Qualifications, Education and Experience:
- MS and/or PhD in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Biomedical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or a related field with 1-5 years of experience in Biotechnology or Medical Device industries.
- Final position will be based on experience of the candidate
- Experience working with RNA (extraction, quantification, reverse transcription) and a variety of other laboratory techniques required.
- Hands-on knowledge of molecular biology with an emphasis in one or more of the following areas: nucleic acid extraction, qPCR, RT-qPCR, primer design and troubleshooting. Experience with isothermal amplification technologies is a plus.
- Experience working in areas of infectious diseases, molecular microbiology, virology, bacteriology and working in a BSL2 environment is a plus.
- Ability to think critically and creatively.
- Strong data analysis skills.
- Familiarity with design of experiment (DOE) methodology is a plus.
- Working knowledge in statistical data analysis is a plus.
- Detail-oriented, organized individual with a strong desire to contribute to a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Experience in developing diagnostic products is a plus.
- Experienced in current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) and 21 CFR 820 Quality System Regulation is a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Team player with a positive attitude is a must.
- Authored peer-reviewed publications and/or patents in academic and/or industry settings.
The essential functions of the job are usually performed in an environmentally controlled facility where the noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. This position may involve a combination of office and biotechnology laboratory environments. The employee may be exposed to hazardous chemicals, bloodborne pathogens and automated equipment.
The employee spends from 60-80% of the time in the lab which may involve standing or sitting. The remaining time the employee is writing and documenting the experiments or participating in internal meetings.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Talis offers a comprehensive health and well-being benefits programs, long-term equity incentives, time-off policies, a 401(k) retirement savings plan with an immediate Company match, Education Assistance Program, a rotating suite of snacks, Monday breakfasts, Happy Hours, other fun company events and more! Best of all, join us by working at a growing company like Talis with dedicated and collaborative employees committed to making a difference in Health Care.
Talis is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All aspects of employment decisions will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of any status protected under federal, state, or local law. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for our colleagues.