Staff Engineer, Robotics Integration
1305 O’Brien Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Pacific Biosciences of California, Inc. (NASDAQ: PACB) is helping scientists forge a better understanding of biology by providing a unique long-read sequencing technology that generates more complete and accurate data, giving them more insights. Our sequencing systems allow scientists to characterize genomes, transcriptomes, and epigenomes from any organism. Scientists use our technology in areas such as human biomedical research, plant and animal sciences, and microbiology and infectious disease studies. Become part of the new paradigm in long-read sequencing and help shape the future of genomic study by joining the Pacific Biosciences team.
The ideal candidate will have a BS/MS in a physical science discipline, Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or equivalent with several years of experience integrating and using complex instrumentation in a biotech field. The candidate will be responsible for integrating robotic systems into the PacBio sequencing workflow as well as testing aspects of the system including hardware, software and consumables.
Responsibilities include evaluating 3rd party robots, developing test plans, writing test cases and executing tests to verify the hardware, software and system performance. Hands-on with a strong biochemistry background, the candidate will be asked to troubleshoot systems, identify opportunities for quality improvements, provide root causes of complex system interaction problems, communicate test results and corrective recommendations to the team. The candidate will work closely with design teams to understand and resolve product performance issues.
The candidate must possess excellent analytical and problem-solving skills and have a solid understanding of biological and laboratory techniques. Additionally, the candidate must be a strong team player, detail-oriented, able to take the initiative and work effectively in a multidisciplinary environment.
- BS/MS in a physical science, Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or equivalent with related field with 5+ years of experience.
- Experience developing workflows with commercial-off-the-shelf liquid handlers.
- Experience with automation, integration and test of high-tech instruments.
- Knowledge of scripting languages is a plus.
- Excellent troubleshooting and data analysis skills.
- Experience in all phases of the product development cycle from basic research, development, manufacturing and field support.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills.
- Product development and / or industry experience in a multidisciplinary biotech environment is a plus.
- DNA Sequencing experience is a plus.
- Software QA experience is a plus.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.
About Our Organization
PacBio is a leading provider of high quality, long-read sequencing platforms.