Strategy & Market Intelligence Manager
836 North St # 300
Tewksbury, MA 01876
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
As a leading developer, manufacturer, and global supplier of scientific laboratory products for 100 years, Corning’s Life Sciences segment collaborates with researchers seeking new approaches to increase efficiencies, reduce costs and compress timelines in the drug discovery process. Using unique expertise in the fields of materials science, surface science, optics, biochemistry and biology, the segment provides innovative solutions that improve productivity and enable breakthrough discoveries.
Scope of Position:
As part of the Corning Life Science’s Strategy and External Development organization, we support the business in the areas of strategy development and market intelligence in collaboration with global stakeholders. Strategy scope can span from ideation through product realization. Our Market Intelligence efforts focus on collecting and synthesizing outside information for business decision support and action.
Time will flex between these two areas of responsibility: Strategy: individual is responsible for leading strategy development activities for assigned areas of focus. This will include major strategy development components of 1) opportunity identification, including market and competitive assessment and prioritization; 2) plan to win, including customer needs assessments, mapping to Corning capabilities considering both technology and business models; and 3) business case development. Engagement up to and including executive review.
Market: 1) Responsible for maintaining a source-based point-of-view on addressable market performance, penetration, and competitive position in order to provide a consistent view of the life science landscape. 2) Contributing member of the larger Strategy and Business Development function. 3) Project assignments will be determined as business needs require and may span Market Intelligence, Strategic Planning, Strategy Deployment, and/or External Development.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Develop market and customer led perspectives on potential CLS opportunities.
- Define and develop points of view regarding strategic choices for the business, supported by thorough analysis and comprehensive market and customer understanding (supported by Voice of Customer feedback).
- Create comprehensive business case models to articulate benefits, cost and risks.
- Develop and present business proposals for action, including early-stage implementation planning.
- Market Intelligence:
- Develop and maintain end-market and competitive Point of View for the CLS Division, for key business segments and geographies – considerations include market size, penetration, and growth rates (quarterly)
- Develop and assess market indicators (such as institutional funding, macro-economic trends, etc) as leading and lagging indicators of CLS performance
- Support business planning efforts (strategic, financial) with up-to-date market perspectives on a periodic basis, aligned with business timelines
- Conduct ad-hoc market research – primary and secondary – related to existing or new business.
- Build dashboards, PowerPoint's, models, and other critical documents that effectively communicate results of efforts and recommendations to various leadership / partners
- Contribute to the completion of specific programs and projects.
- Strive for timely delivery of high quality, accurate strategy and market intel deliverables as assigned.
- Adoption of proposals including business case.
- Engagement and support of key stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Biological Sciences, Engineering, or related field.
- MBA strongly preferred.
Required Years and Area of Experience:
- Minimum of 8+ years in market research, strategic planning, or similar disciplines.
- Minimum of 2+ years in the Life Sciences industry.
- Experience developing business insights based on detailed quantitative and qualitative. analysis
- Experience developing business case recommendations for executive review & approval.
- Cross-Functional Team Leadership experience (program or project management).
- Advanced analytical skills & use of associated tools.
- General Life Science product/process knowledge.
- Ability to Leverage Technical and Market Expertise to drive business outcomes.
Desired Experience / Qualifications / Skills:
- Experience within the Life Sciences/Medical Devise or Diagnostics Industry.
- Life Sciences technology knowledge.
- Work experience with a Fortune 500 company.
- Cross cultural awareness and cultural sensitivity with the ability to be flexible.
- Able to prioritize and coordinate multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Demonstrates initiative for achieving results.
- Stellar problem-solving skills including working cross-functionally.
- Ability to lead through influence with an eye for business.
- Ability to optimally work through ambiguity.
- Able to effectively communicate for impact at all levels of the organization.
- Some travel for conferences if required.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- Standard business hours; Monday – Friday.
How to Apply
Reference Requisition Number: 46541