Scientist (New Technologies)
2560 Orchard Parkway
San Jose, CA 95131
Job Title: Scientist (New Technologies)
Reports to: Principal Scientist
FLSA Class: Exempt
Introduction to Job Post:
Takara Bio USA is looking for a highly energetic, collaborative, independent thinker and self-starting Scientist to join the New Technologies group. This group is responsible for the early assessment and development of new technologies across the business, to help guide the strategic direction of the company. This role will report to the Principal Scientist, and the successful candidate will be hands on in the lab to design, implement, and validate new technologies of high commercial value. As a Scientist in the New Technologies group, you will contribute to Takara Bio’s strategic and scientific planning and be continuously pushed to explore novel ideas and innovate across all life science markets and domains.
The Scientist works primarily in the lab conducting experiments to move projects through all stages of research and development from initial proof of concept through product launch and application development, working with other colleagues in R&D, Engineering, Marketing and Operations.
The Scientist role is lab-based.
Approximately 5% travel, including overnight, may be required.
- Plans, schedules, and conducts experiments at the bench for one or more projects, exhibiting good experimental design, data summary and interpretation, and clear report preparation.
- Works to ensure projects are completed according to specifications and within set deadlines under guidance from senior scientists and Marketing.
- Learns to draft SOPs, user manuals, technical notes and other related technical documents with assistance from senior scientists, Marketing and Operations teams.
- Identifies potential new products for development based on assessment of customer demand, market trends, and competitor analysis with help from Marketing and more senior researchers in the group.
- Maintains subject matter expertise in new developments and technologies across the life sciences.
- Serves as a resource to R&D and other departments within the organization, including Product Management and Operations – especially during product development and launch.
- May represent R&D at scientific meetings or in front of customers – typically by presenting posters.
- May support Sales and Technical Support representatives on technical matters.
- This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Education/Certification, Experience, and Competencies:
- Typically requires a Ph.D. in a relevant scientific discipline with 2-5 years of postdoctoral and/or industrial experience.
- Expert knowledge of scientific principles and concepts with specialized skills in a specific area, not simply knowledge of techniques (e.g., methylation/epigenetics; NGS sequencing; virology).
- Routinely assimilates and absorbs scientific principles and concepts beyond their specific area of training. Enthusiastically explores unfamiliar fields and acquires sufficient domain expertise to identify open problems, gaps, and implements working solutions.
- Strong interest in technology development and translating scientific ideas into novel applications.
- Effective analytical and problem-solving skills, including excellent attention to detail.
- Collaborative personality with good interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Takara Bio USA, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.