Staff Scientist, Bioinformatics (RNA-Seq)
2560 Orchard Parkway
San Jose, CA 95131
Job Title: Staff Scientist, Bioinformatics (RNA-Seq)
Reports to: R&D Group Leader
FLSA Class: Exempt
Introduction to Job Post:
The Staff Scientist, Bioinformatics is responsible for collecting product requirements and designing and developing NGS analysis pipelines to meet those requirements. The Staff Scientist, Bioinformatics is responsible for all aspects of the software development process from the project initiation to software release, including supporting internal and external customer bioinformatics requests.
The Staff Scientist, Bioinformatics role is office-based and located in Mountain View, CA.
Approximately 5% travel, including overnight, is required.
- Works to develop bioinformatics packages/pipelines for one or more projects, exhibiting good code design and development practice.
- Analyzes NGS data and generates reports exhibiting good analytical design, data summary and interpretation, and clear report preparation.
- Works closely and independently, through regular communication, with Product Managers and senior members of the Bioinformatics and R&D teams to understand market trends and competition relevant to products worked on. Proposes new tools for development based on this analysis and works independently with Product Managers and/or R&D to design appropriate specifications.
- Develops and releases new bioinformatics tools and pipelines according to approved proposals and within stated deadlines.
- Follows standard Software Development Life Cycle process, including version control and independently authors related technical documentation.
- Serves as a resource to R&D and other departments within the organization, including Product Management, Quality Control, and Quality Assurance especially during product development and release.
- Represents R&D at scientific meetings or in front of customers, including presenting seminars or tutorials on tools they have developed.
- Serves to support Sales and Technical Support representatives on technical matters.
- This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Education/Certification, Experience, and Competencies:
- Typically requires a Ph.D. in Bioinformatics or a relevant scientific discipline followed by a minimum of 5 to 8 years post-Ph.D. experience in Bioinformatics working in academia or industry.
- Experience in pipeline design and development following standard Software Development Life Cycle practice, including developing appropriate wrappers to provide easy-to-use tools for non-Bioinformaticians.
- Extensive experience analyzing NGS data sets using industry-standard methods and tools.
- Preference given for candidates with experience building pipelines for analyzing large RNA-Seq datasets; at bulk and/or single-cell levels.
- Professional pipeline development experience with one or more major programming languages such as Java, Python, or C/C++ under a Linux environment is required.
- Strong statistical, mathematical and/or analytical skills as demonstrated by experience with R, Matlab, or C++/Java/Python math libraries. Ideal candidate would have demonstrated experience building packages in R programming language.
- Collaborative personality with strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Takara Bio USA, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.