Senior Research Associate - NGS QC Development
279 E Grand Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94080
At Freenome, you will participate in the development of quality control infrastructure to support molecular assays and contribute to our mission of early detection and intervention in human disease. As a (Senior) Research Associate in QC Development, you will work closely with scientists and computational biologists to develop and implement quality control assays that will ensure the highest quality data is produced by our clinical lab. You will also work with process engineers and technology transfer scientists to implement efficient automated workflows and improve experimental and clinical throughput in a regulated high-throughput environment.
How you’ll contribute:
- Contribute to the development, validation, and execution of quality control assays that support our NGS platform, while diligently applying Good Laboratory Practices.
- Participate in monitoring of reagent quality and troubleshooting of reagent issues when they arise.
- Collaborate with computational biologists to analyze data generated by high-throughput assays, with clinical laboratory members to transition development protocols into clinical production, with process engineers to test and optimize robotic instruments, and with software engineers to build laboratory information infrastructure.
- Identify and implement process improvements across the lab by thinking critically about the execution of all experiments.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, or a related field.
- 2+ years (Research Associate) or 4+ years (Senior Research Associate) of full-time laboratory experience, preferably in a regulated laboratory environment (CLIA, GLP, GCP, IVD).
- Hands-on experience with DNA library preparation. Next generation sequencing and quality control assay development experience is preferred. Skillset including nucleic acid extraction, quantitation, fragmentation, PCR, and next generation sequencing.
- Ability to perform basic data analysis and critically examine experimental results.
- Proven track record of running successful experiments, preparing data for review, and giving effective scientific presentations.
- Clear communications skills and ability to work with team members in the same and adjacent disciplines.
How to Apply
About Our Organization
Freenome is on a mission to empower everyone with the tools they need to detect, treat, and ultimately prevent cancer.
We have pioneered the most comprehensive multiomics platform for early cancer detection through a routine blood draw. By combining deep expertise in molecular biology with advanced computational biology and machine learning techniques to recognize disease-associated patterns among billions of circulating, cell-free biomarkers, we are developing simple and accurate blood tests for early cancer detection and integrating the actionable insights into health systems to operationalize a machine learning feedback loop between care and science.
Our recent $270 Million Series C brings our financing to over $500 million from investors, including; Bain Capital, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital, Polaris Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, funds and accounts advised by T. Rowe Price Associates, Inc., GV (formerly Google Ventures), Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures, Data Collective Venture Capital, Novartis and Verily Life Sciences.
Freenome is building technology to advance the understanding of cancer through multiple analytes derived from blood. These signals include cell-free DNA, methylation of cell-free DNA, cell-free RNA, circulating proteins, and immune profiling derived from thousands of prospective samples. By developing novel statistical learning methods and applying them to integrate various -omics datasets, Freenome is a leader in modeling specific biological mechanisms to capture disease-dependent signatures, including gene expression, immune response, tumor burden, the tissue of origin, and 3D chromatin structure.
By building comprehensive discovery datasets and modeling critical biological systems, Freenome is learning what biological changes are present within the blood between a variety of different disease states, including cancer, autoimmune disorders, infections, drug response, and aging. The synthesis of Freenome’s datasets, cross-functional technical expertise, and audacious mission to discover biological truth, we seek to improve the lives of millions through early detection and early treatment of disease.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic, and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
We value empathy, integrity, and trust in one another, and we respect the diverse perspectives of our colleagues and those we serve. We assume positive intent and give each other the benefit of the doubt with the firm belief that we are a team working toward the same objectives. We believe in empowering and supporting each other in a collaborative and dynamic environment.
What does a successful person look like at Freenome?
Those who thrive at Freenome prioritize, manage, and execute their own goals with ownership and alignment with those of the company. They embrace our values of empathy, integrity, striving for greatness, servant leadership, trust, and holding themselves and their team accountable to these values. They crave collaboration with brilliant minds from disparate fields of study and believe that hiring and mentorship are fundamental to our success. Above all, they welcome and provide constructive feedback and criticism, trusting in others’ good intentions, and being secure in knowing that embracing mistakes is the best way to learn and grow. For those who pursue challenges, understudied problems, and want the opportunity to see their work impact the lives of millions of people affected by cancer every year, there’s no better place to be than Freenome.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law.
Notice to agencies:
Our in-house Talent Acquisition Team manages all employment opportunities at Freenome. Agencies and independent recruiters must be approved as a vendor by Freenome’s Talent Acquisition team before submitting candidates to any Freenome employee. We do not accept unsolicited resumes or biographies under any circumstances. Please do not contact Freenome employees directly. Compliance with this request will impact our decision to work with you. Thank you for your interest in working with Freenome!