1290 Terra Bella Ave
Mountain View, CA 94043
Job Title: Buyer I
Job Reports To: Manager, Materials
FLSA Class: Non-Exempt
The Buyer I role is responsible for obtaining material, product and services by executing company purchase orders through the company ERP system. The Buyer I will follow up and expedite orders with vendors to ensure deliveries are on time and reconciling vendor invoice issues.
The Buyer I is responsible for ensuring that the correct product or service is purchased at the right time.
The Buyer I role is office-based.
- Comply with all company purchasing policies and procedures.
- Process purchase requisitions and convert to purchase orders using the ERP system.
- Process purchase requisitions for international affiliates and manage through fulfillment which may require the use of business database(s) to process requests.
- May use credit cards to authorized purchases of services or goods and reconcile through ERP system.
- Obtain and process quotes from suppliers per purchasing procedures.
- Ensure open purchase orders are closed accurately and on time, process credits and returns according to company procedures.
- May approve supplier invoices to verify delivery of goods or services ordered under the purchasing responsibility.
- Maintain a professional working relationship with suppliers clearly communicating product and delivery expectations.
- Process necessary paperwork to set up new suppliers.
- Help execute product and delivery terms outlined in supplier agreements or purchase confirmations by ensuring agreed upon costs, discounts and other product requirements are met.
- Continuous review of supplier performance, focusing on delivery and price improvements.
- Input and maintain accurate purchasing and supplier attributes in ERP.
- May assist with maintenance of approved supplier list in ERP.
- Maintains purchase costs in ERP.
- Help maintain other relevant ERP master data as required.
- Support supplier management activities as assigned.
- May participate in supplier team meetings and provide input for supply agreements.
- Frequent communication with internal customers, affiliates and suppliers on material and service deliveries.
- Review out of stock materials and address situation promptly.
- May assist with training staff on purchase requisitions.
- Proficient use of the ERP system and can recognize issues and escalate them appropriately.
- Works independently on routine assignments, receives supervision on new tasks.
- Exercises good judgment and demonstrates sense of urgency.
- Displays good collaboration and communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Adheres to quality system protocols.
- Maintains documentation for areas of responsibility.
- This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Education/Certification, Experience, and Competencies:
- B.S. in Business desired.
- APICS, CPP, APS or equivalent training desired.
- Background in Life Sciences or with purchasing chemicals & reagents.
- Must be proficient in EXCEL, Oracle E-Business or similar ERP system experience desired.
- Minimum 2 years prior relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong planning, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
Takara Bio USA, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.