Director, R&D (NGS)
1290 Terra Bella Ave
Mountain View, CA 94043
Job Title: Director, R&D (NGS)
Reports to: CSO
FLSA Class: Exempt
Introduction to Job Post:
TBUSA is looking for a highly skilled, creative and self-motivated scientist to lead our NGS product development, covering both our RNA-Seq and DNA-Seq portfolios, and including product lines supporting single-cell, immune-profiling and general library prep.
In this role, the successful candidate will report to the CSO and take a lead role in developing the long-term strategy and direction for the NGS group, working with the CSO and other senior members of the R&D and Marketing teams. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a strong background in NGS with an in-depth understanding of NGS library production method, analysis methods and applications as well as a clear understanding of current technology trends in the market. Experience with high-through put applications – especially relating to single cell applications is highly desired. Strong team leadership skills as well as excellent written/oral communication and interpersonal skills are a must.
The Director, R&D role is office-based.
Approximately 5-10% travel, including overnight and international travel, may be required.
- Manages the overall research activities across the NGS portfolio within the R&D department.
- Works closely and independently with senior members of the Marketing Department to develop overall long-term plans for product line growth and development based on understanding of market trends and competitor activity.
- Takes the lead in providing a strategic technical vision and builds long-term growth through the identification and development of novel research areas and/or programs that significantly expand the Company’s business.
- Responsible for success of proposed initiatives by ensuring all aspects of product development – including IP/ licensing, research and manufacture – are met according to stated deadlines and by obtaining buy-in from all departments for proposed plans.
- Ensures work conducted by group is of high quality, exhibiting good experimental design and critical interpretation.
- Ensures that team maintains complete and accurate records in relevant databases and that deliverables for each research phase are complete and properly documented.
- Ensures projects are appropriately resourced and that budgets, schedules and technical performance requirements are met.
- Develops and maintains an external network of key research collaborators and scientific advisors in the academic/industrial community.
- Ensures that other departments within the organization, including Product Management, Planning, QC, and Product Transfer are appropriately supported by the research team.
- Represents R&D at scientific meetings in front of customers and/or collaborators, including presenting seminars on TBUSA products.
- This position has supervisory responsibilities.
Education/Certification, Experience, and Competencies:
- Typically requires a Ph.D. in a relevant scientific discipline followed by 15+ years of a mix of academic and industrial experience. Must have experience managing senior scientists, including team leaders.
- Highly effective analytical, problem solving and judgment skills, with demonstrated ability to manage the work of other senior level scientists.
- Expert in NGS library preparation and analysis, with preference given to candidates with extensive experience in high-throughput single cell RNA-Seq.
- In-depth and broad knowledge of molecular and cellular biology, including relevant techniques and applications (e.g. nucleic acid handling, NGS library preparation and sequencing, WGA, DNA/RNA/epigenetics, qPCR and oligo design).
- Strong NGS data analysis skills with basic coding skills in R/python for NGS data analysis highly desired.
- Experience with both DNA and RNA seq applications highly desired.
- Demonstrated ability to propose and develop novel R&D programs and product lines that are commercially successful.
- Solid business acumen and understanding of product marketability and how to design a product to meet market requirements.
- Excellent understanding of the product development process from initial proof of concept through transfer to manufacturing.
- Demonstrated ability managing external collaborations.
- Excellent knowledge of the biomedical research industry.
- Solid knowledge of U.S. intellectual property laws, and a good understanding of contract law as it relates to technology licensing.
- Collaborative personality with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience hiring, developing and maintaining effective teams of research professionals.
Takara Bio USA, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.